Tuesday, December 15, 2009

More on the assignment

From what I understand, Ukraine volunteers may get very similar/the same titles but have very different assignments, and they have their reasons for that. I will also not be finding out where I am going until we are in training in country, so they can best match my skills with the needs/projects. What I have right now is an assignment but it is not specific...my job title will be Community Developer. Here is what the "Your Assignment" packet says:

"The specific type of work you will do will depend on the needs of the community and partner organizations to which you will be assigned as well as on your ksills and educational background...If you have a business background [that's me], you may apply your skills in the areas of organizational development [in which I actually have experience], business planning [also have experience], investment attraction [hmm...not so much], strategic planning [I have experience and really like doing], business communication [LOTS of experience there] and income generation.

"In all Community Development assignments, Volunteers support the introduction and improvement of organizational systems and structures. This includes project design and management [again, like this a lot] with the accompanying need to identify and secure necessary resources. Organizational sustainability is of central importance to Ukrainian NGOs and represents an area in which Volunteers can play a significant role. In addition, the refinement of cross-sector collaboration and the coordination of programs will be an area for Volunteer support and innovation."

There's more....and mention of secondary projects. What I really want to know right now is whether some of these crazy things on the packing lists people are posting are really necessary....I don't think I will be buying Yaktrax. I mean, I'm from MN - snow and ice are not novelties to me...as a matter of fact, lately it has been warmer in Ukraine than it has been here! Also - a sleeping bag? WAFFLE IRON? Wha? I have three months to figure these things out - but there are holiday sales right now so I was hoping to consider some of the (few) things I actually do not have and actually do need. But suggestions/input from current volunteers are/is welcome.

Just so I don't sound like I am obssessed with packing this early on...

And to correct the faux pas from the last post - I am going to be learning Ukrainian, hopefully at least some before I leave. Whoops. I grew up with the map showing USSR so sometimes I slip!

First step - turn in current passport, apply for PC passport and visa - have photos taken. Check, and check. Sent off today. Next step - the aspiration statement. I wonder what I will say when I don't really know my assignment...how can I write an effective aspiration statement?

Oh by the way, I got a very nice letter from President Obama in my invitation package :) I will be in Peace Corps on its 50th anniversary!

Okay, enough for now...

3 comments:

  1. I started the Aspiration Statement for South Africa and other paperwork today and need to do the rest and send off for my PC passport ASAP. I also found my "Assignment" to be very vague. All it really said is that I will be working with an NGO or OVC and that I might be a mentor, a role model, work with PLWHA's, develop advocacy campaigns.

    What does that actually MEAN? I still don't quite understand what my daily routine might even look like. It would have been helpful to have some descriptive duties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I am officially SUPER jealous! I'm hoping to get my invite sometime in January (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Karin! I saw your posts on Facebook and really appreciate your perspective coming into Peace Corps, I wish you the very best. If I can ever help you, please let me know. : )

    ReplyDelete